Castello di Rivoli
Savoy Royal Residences, located in Torino and its surroundings, are a journey along monumental architecture styles between XVII and XVIII century, and an expression of monarchy ideology..
Added to UNESCO world heritage list since 1997
Museum of Contemporary Art
Between past, present and future
Starting out in the 11th century as a military stronghold, the Castle of Rivoli is now home to the Museum of Contemporary Art which has a prestigious permanent collection and occasional major exhibitions in an original historical and architectural context.
Owned by the Savoy since 1247, the castle was the first court of the Duchy of Savoy. In the 1600s it was transformed into courtly residence by Carlo and Amedeo di Castellamonte. The complex also gained the "Manica Lunga", the art gallery of dukes, more than 140 metres long.
In the 1700s, Victor Amadeus II commissioned Juvarra to produce a grandiose rebuilding project, works that were never to be concluded. The incompletion of the construction, emphasised by the restoration by Andrea Bruno in 1980s, has created an evocative line of continuity extending from the past, to the present and future.