Castello di Susa
The Savoy in Piemonte
From high up on the rock of Susa, this castle has witnessed millennia of history. In 1046, Countess Adelaïde received here her husband Otto, count of Savoy, bringing him the dowry of the marquisate of Susa and the county of Torino.
The castle, which shows traces of works carried out in later periods, now accommodates a museum that has only recently been reopened to the public, with an innovative collection that relates the crucial role of the Alpine passes and the Val Susa territory in the thousand year history of the Savoy family.