Savoy Royal Residences, located in Torino and its surroundings, are a journey along monumental architecture styles between XVII and XVIII century, and an expression of monarchy ideology..
Added to UNESCO world heritage list since 1997
ROYAL MUSEUMS OF TORINO
ROYAL MUSEUMS OF TORINO is a project that confirms Torino’s central role and its artistic, architectural and historic heritage in the international scenario: some 3 km of an exceptional tour route to relive the city’s events, from the firs Roman settlements to the Unification of Italy.
It includes the Royal Armory, the Royal Library, the Savoy Gallery, the Royal Palace, the Royal Gardens , Chiablese Palace, the Archaeological Museum with the Roman Theatre.
The Royal Library, founded by Carlo Alberto in 1837, is part of the Royal Palace complex, residence of the Royal House of Savoy until 1865 designed by the architect Carlo Amadeo of Castellamonte. The Monumental Hall was designed by the court architect Pelagio Pelagi who filled the Library with precious double height wooden shelves and had the ceilings painted by Moja and Trefogli in monochrome subjects depicting Science and the Arts. It preserves important collections of manuscripts, illuminated manuscripts, engravings, more than 2,000 drawings, and, above all, the fund acquired by Carlo Alberto of Leonardo da Vinci drawings including the Self-portrait, the Face of the Angel, preparatory drawing for the Virgin of the Rocks held in the Louvre, and the Codex on the Flight of Birds.